Last updated on 10th February 2023
There’s something so appealing about anything that is made ‘just for you’. And that goes for videos too!
Personalized video is a relatively new technology that allows businesses to create unique videos for each of their customers.
This means that each customer can receive a personalized video message tailored specifically to them, based on their preferences and interests.
In this article we’ll look at the benefits of video personalization, as well as checking out some examples of great personalized video marketing.
Benefits of personalized video
1. Personalized videos are highly engaging and can increase customer retention and conversion rates. In fact a huge 93% of businesses that create personalized videos them have seen an increase in conversion.
2. With 90% of customers stating that they find personalization appealing, personalized videos can be used in the sales process to upsell and cross-sell products and services.
3. With the personalized nature of these kinds of videos, they can be used to increase brand awareness, customer engagement and loyalty. 63% of customers mention personalization as a reason to stay loyal to a brand.
4. Personalized videos can be used to drive traffic to your website or landing pages. With some brands seeing an 8x increase in click through rates when they send personalized videos as part of their marketing campaigns.
Types of personalized video
There are several different types of personalized videos, so it’s important to decide which one will work best for your business:
1. Product Personalization Videos
These videos focus on a specific product or service that your customers have shown an interest in.
This example from Air France and KLM focuses on their BlueBiz loyalty program. The video sends out a birthday wishes to customers. This small gesture is sure to put a smile on their faces.
2. Customer Personalization Videos
These videos are designed to get to know your customers on a more personal level. They can include customer testimonials, case studies, and interviews.
This example from Cadbury gives consumers a look at the past year together with the brand, plus it shows a bit about their customers’ personal tastes in chocolate.
3. Location Personalization Videos
These videos are targeted toward viewers in specific locations. They can be used to promote local events or products that are only available in certain places.
This example from Doritos was created for the launch of the PS5. They created a game where viewers could head out to different locations around them to pick up prizes in AR.
How do personalized videos work?
Personalized videos are an innovative way for businesses to connect with their target audience and increase customer engagement. Of course, it generally isn’t practical to manually create a custom video for every single one of your customers.
So how does it work?
Well, typically, it involves creation of a video template. This will leave spaces or placeholders. Personalized video software then works with a database to pull in information – such as a person’s name, location, and other personal details – to create a unique, customized video that feels like it was made just for the viewer.
Personalized videos are a powerful tool for businesses looking to create personalized experiences for their customers. Such videos are highly effective at increasing customer engagement and attracting new customers, as they offer a personalized experience that traditional videos cannot provide.
While it’s possible to turn existing videos into personalized videos, it tends to be more effective to do this whole job from scratch. This allows you to think about how personalization is going to work and be presented throughout the video in the most engaging and visually attractive way.
Once they’re completed, you can send videos via email or direct message and really make an impression on each viewer.
Tips for creating personalized video
1. Identify your target audience. This is important for all marketing efforts, but it’s especially important when creating personalized videos. You need to make sure that you’re targeting the right people with your videos.
2. Gather the necessary data. Once you know who your target audience is, you need to gather the data that will be used when you’re personalizing videos. This can include things like customer names, purchase history, and demographic information (always make sure to stay GDPR compliant when doing this).
3. Use the data to create custom segments. Once you have all of your data, it’s time to create custom segments for your target audience. This will allow you to create more targeted and effective personalized videos.
4. Personalize your videos. Now that you have all of your data and custom segments created, it’s time to start personalizing your videos! There are several different ways to do this, so be creative and experiment to see what works best for your business.
5. Measure your results. Personalized videos can be a great way to boost your marketing campaign, but it’s important to measure your results to make sure that they’re actually having an impact. Keep track of things like video views, website traffic, and conversion rates to see how well your personalized videos are performing.
Personalized video examples
Nike created a personalized video for each customer that purchased their new Nike+ app. The videos were designed to motivate and encourage customers to reach their fitness goals.
Nike’s marketing team sent 100,000 personalized videos to users, to document their progress over the past year. Each one celebrated users’ physical fitness achievements.
The videos contained information such as miles covered, minutes logged, location, weather conditions during workouts, etc.
All while simultaneously promoting the Nike brand!
Coca-Cola created a series of personalized videos for a Christmas campaign. Teaming up with Cameo, customers can receive a personalized video from Santa himself!
The videos can be shared on social media and are designed to create even more hype for Coca-Cola around the holiday period.
3. Wear it Pink
Breast Cancer Now used personalized videos on social media to show their gratitude to their donors.
The organization targeted people who used #wearitpink or mentioned the brand. The videos contained their personal data like name and Twitter profile pictures.
All of the above shows that personalized video content can do wonders for your brand! With the possibility of driving up sales, targeting your customers better, expanding your reach and delivering better results- there’s never been a better time to create your first personalized video campaign.
And there’s a wider point to be made here.
Take a look at the videos we have created here.